Spouse Sponsorship


A Canadian Citizen or Permanent resident may sponsor a spouse or common-law partner for Canadian permanent residency. The Canadian government allows citizens and permanent residents of Canada to sponsor members of the family class, but sponsored family members must receive financial and other support from the sponsor when they arrive in Canada. In order to sponsor a spouse you must be able to prove your relationship meets the definition of one of the following three categories:

If two people get lawfully married in any region of the world, they are spouses. The marriage must be valid where it takes place. It can be between opposite or same-sex couples.

Common Law Partner
A common-law partner refers to a person who is living in a conjugal relationship with another person (opposite or same sex), and has done so continuously for a period of at least one year.

Conjugal Partner
A conjugal partner relationship exists where two people are in a marriage-like relationship but are not married and have not lived together for a period of at least one year due to extenuating circumstances

Requirement of Sponsor

Must be at least 18 years old and a Canadian citizen or permanent resident

If you’re a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when the persons you want to sponsor become permanent residents.

You can’t sponsor someone if you’re a permanent resident living outside Canada.

You can’t sponsor someone if your receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability

You need to provide for the basic needs of any persons you want to sponsor

You must not have sponsored another sponsor within the past 5 years

You must sign an undertaking to provide financial support for your sponsored family members

Requirements of Sponsored Person

Your spouse can be either sex and must be:

legally married to you

at least 18 years old

Your common-law partner:

Isn’t legally married to you

Can be either sex

Is at least 18 years old

Has been living with you for at least 12 consecutive months, meaning you’ve been living together continuously for 1 year in a conjugal relationship, without any long periods a part

Your conjugal partner:

Isn’t legally married to you or in a common-law relationship with you

Can be either sex

Is at least 18 years old

Has been in a relationship with you for at least 1 year

Lives outside Canada

can’t live with you in their country of residence or marry you because of significant legal and immigration reasons.

How can a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant Help?

In addition to making sure the application is complete there are three main areas where an RCIC can help.

Immigration Strategy and Option: An RCIC can advise you on the different options that are available to you to obtain permanent residence in Canada and explain the pros and cons of each option. It is important you choose the best immigration program from the start as this will likely save you time and money in the long run.

Professional Representation: If you do not have a representative assisting you then you will probably only submit the required documentation listed on the IRCC document checklist.Submitting only these documents may be enough to result in a favorable decision. However,submitting only those documents sometimes is not enough to make your case and to satisfy the visa officer you meet the requirements of the visa. Generally, it is wise to submit as much evidence as you can above and beyond the minimum required by IRCC.  Your representative can assist you in preparing and submitting a strong application to IRCC by identifying the weaknesses in your application and advising you how to strengthen your application.

Submission letter: An RCIC will prepare and submit a submission letter on behalf of the applicant along with the application. The submission letter is an important part of the application which summarizes and more importantly demonstrates why you meet the requirements of the visa.

Ready to apply to sponsor your spouse to Canada?

We will:

Review your information and develop a strategy to apply

Prepare and submit your sponsorship application to IRCC

Prepare and submit your visa application to IRCC

Act as your authorized representative to IRCC

Update you regularly on the status of your application.

If you want to sponsor your spouse to Canada we are here to help! Please complete our free online assessment form or contact us and one of our Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants will revert to you within 48 hours.

Looking for Advice?

Your request will be answered within 24 hours